Cymatics: Insights into the Invisible
April 17, 2005
This lovely venue (a 1907 Primitive Baptist stone church) is the perfect space for a workshop focusing on acoustics! It is located in a safe, quiet section of Inman Park, very close to the MARTA station, but if you’re driving, you’ll need to pay careful attention to the signs! Detailed directions are listed below.
A collaboration of science and spirit, through the media of light and sound.
This program will integrate the sciences of Cymatics, acoustics and physics, with the principles of complexity science and chaos theory--- in a way that brings it all back to our own daily experience. A real mind-blower!
The morning will consist of a multimedia presentation by poet, video producer and publisher Jeff Volk, detailing the original Cymatics experiments of Hans Jenny as portrayed through his photographs and films.
Everything exists in a state of vibration, but these
subtle oscillations are almost always invisible and thus, often disregarded.
Imagine if our senses were acute enough to perceive these underlying
patterns…. The remarkable Cymatics experiments of Dr. Hans Jenny
allow us to do just that, showing how audible sound creates form and
structure in matter!
Jeff will further elaborate these principles through his
PowerPoint presentation based on a model derived from Dr. Jenny’s
writings on the “basic triadic phenomenon” (the Trinity,
as articulated in all world traditions). This work presents a new and
very profound interpretation of the mystical implications of Cymatics
in an extremely practical way.
After lunch British inventor and acoustic engineer, John Reid, will take over to guide us through a multi-faceted exploration of sound and shape.
• John will debut his CymaScope Dodecadon for the first time ever!
We'll watch, in real time, as vibrating sand creates beautiful, life-like, harmonic patterns in response to Rebecca's singing! We'll also have an all-acoustic scope through which we can view our own voices!
• Prime resonance of chambers and the crucial nature
of reverberation in the perception of sacred sound We will take advantage
of the lovely venue (a 1907 Primitive Baptist stone church in Inman
Park) to experience sound directly through the resonating tissues of
our bodies. This will also include a guided experience walking through
a matrix of sound, stepping into an antinode (this vibrates every cell
in our body) followed by stepping into a node (walking into virtual
• The Holographic nature of sound. A PowerPoint presentation showing how things would appear if we could see the ocean of sounds that surrounds us. The concept of 'Holographic Bubbles' is also presented.
• Sound is an aspect of life, but life may be an aspect of sound. A brief look at the sacred ratios imbedded in man and in other life forms and a comparison with ratios found in sine waves and human speech. John will demonstrate how two low frequency sounds when mixed together, can create what looks like a living cell moving about the vibrating membrane of his CymaScope.
• Harmful sounds and healing sounds
Some other topics he may cover:
• Vocal harmonics